No one needs to tell you how expensive home and auto insurance has become over the past few years here in Fort Myers, Cape Coral and Naples. At Lott & Gaylor Insurance, we understand how important it is for our clients to balance both coverage and cost. While there are no “magic” bullets in solely reducing the cost of home owners insurance – there are some tricks than can be used to help make the homeowners and auto insurance more affordable.
- First, call an established agent – one that has been around for more than 10-15 years (or in our case more than 30) and preferably one that is a member of the Trusted Choice family of agents. This will make sure that you are dealing with an agency that is committed to excellence in providing proper coverages and treating you like a person and not just a policy number. If you don’t feel like speaking with an agent right away, get a quote online.[space height=”20″]
- Second, tell them what you’ve got and ask for discounts. If your agent doesn’t know what you have, they won’t be able to apply the applicable credits. Do you have a sprinkler system? is there a fire hydrant in your front yard? do you have an alarm system? If your home is older but you’ve replaced the plumbing, electrical or roofing system – it will become a lot more attractive to the insurance companies and may be eligible for lesser expensive carriers that may have not offered coverage based on the age of the home. [space height=”20″]
- The big one: Consider raising your insurance deductible. Many people worry about this, but typically going from a $500 deductible to $1,000 or $1,500 won’t break the bank in the event of a fire or other covered loss to our home or auto. The savings can be significant from year to year and really add up over the course of time. Ask your agent to offer you options and make the decision that makes sense to you.[space height=”20″]
- Next, pay your premium annually instead of monthly if you have the ability. Many insurance company’s charge a monthly or quarterly installment fee that adds up over time.[space height=”20″]
- Get your liability policies on the same page (figuratively and literally). Most home owners insurance policies afford home liability coverage, but if your needs are greater than what’s provided on your homes policy you should consider adding an umbrella or excess liability policy. Often times you can buy an umbrella from the same insurance company as your homeowners and at the same time reduce the limit on the home owners policy. This should get you more coverage without breaking the bank.
One of the most profound ways you can save money on your homeowners insurance policy is by getting a wind mitigation inspection by a licensed and certified wind mitigation inspection contractor. It’s no surprise that one of the largest premium driving issues in Fort Myers, Naples and Cape Coral are hurricanes.
Insurance companies want to see what you’ve got protecting your home, so show them! The cost of these inspections ranges from a $150 – $300 for a typical single family home but you could easily save twice that in annual savings from you homeowners insurance company.